Monday, October 02, 2006

When Faggot Should Yield to Gay

I finally got a response to an article on my blog! That’s the good news. Here’s the bad news: it was from the word police! Yes, I used the word faggot. Is there anyone over 13 years old who hasn’t heard it? I know it’s not a nice word, but my mother is dead and I don’t recall asking for resumes. It’s funny. When you have a rather complex vocabulary, like most of the people I know, it provides you with an opportunity to choose a word that better conveys meaning. When I talk about George Bush liking Don Rumsfeld because he’s macho, I feel I have the right to insert the word faggot. Homosexual just won’t do when you’re talking Administration macho, nope. So, you see, it’s about choosing the word that fits the context best, not about childish sensibilities over nasty words that offend or aren’t used with the good silver. I have a strong hunch that this is coming from our ardent Muslim hater out there, but it could be anyone. It could even be someone very close to me, but I think that email would have been the way that such a person would have communicated. True, faggot is a bad word, but so is asshole, fuck, and so on. It’s also a word that describes a person rather than an act or an orifice, and that does make things worse. I hope no faggots are reading this because I wouldn’t want to offend them. The homosexuals I know will get the idea, partly because they know me, and partly because they understand the rules of written words versus the rules of speech. They also, I think, get the entire allusion comparing Princeton to Oxford, and the sex and spy scandals that abounded at Oxford. Or is it that you think I believe Bush and Rumsfeld are gay? Those faggots! Are you nuts! (See, I'm trying to be insulting to Bush and Rumsfeld, and that's why I wouldn't use gay to describe them. I'm not trying to be insulting to male homosexuals, who are still "gay".) Perhaps you’ll want to think about moving to PC-istan where the word police make sure that everything stays holy and offenders have fingers cut off. Lucky I have IBM Via Voice for when I lose my fingers, huh! Lucky for me, but not so lucky for you, eh! Keep writing. I enjoy the sparkling reparTIT.

2 Comments:

At Tue Oct 03, 05:04:00 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry, I don't buy it...whether you say 'macaca' or the 'n' word.. both are insulting- the word is the word.Move over Allen...here comes Tyrone.
You most likely, sir, are a white straight guy who did not have to face social day to day issues others with many limitations did.
What the 'gay' person gets is, you may be saying gay...but thinking'f----t'
Whom are you trying to kid.
Some anger management will help.

 
At Wed Oct 04, 12:58:00 PM PDT, Blogger Tyrone said...

Who's Allen? What's macaca? How is it that you know me so well? Yes, I'm the sexually repressed, white, male, heterosexual that you always feared most. The one with a job, a family, progressive politics, and intellectual discipline. You are so liberal, so bougie, and so artless in your ability to disguise yourself that you have come out as the Zionist Muslim hater of old! Congrats! Still as transparent and vapid as ever! Anger management? Oh, yes indeed! I have an abundance of the stuff, but it's generally reserved for those who are busy telling me that I have no business smoking, eating meat, or using a rich variety of words. Like our Muslim discussion, you just have no clue how many--or how deeply or for how long--gay and lesbian people I know. I even wrote a very excellent research paper on homosexual "hustling" back in 1971, after my "hustler" roommate paved the way for my entry into that subculture. You have a lot to learn about me, but why waste your time responding to a set of words in virtual reality when you should be devoting your time to learning more about yourself in the real world you live in. This is just a blog, not a life, and I encourage you to be proactive in your blogging, not reactive. Get creative and tell us all what you believe, or try to raise the hackles of others by being confrontational. Write a blog where you can express yourself first, rather than responding to the efforts of others. It's easy to be a critic.

Tyrone

 

Post a Comment

<< Home